#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. In 1917 he moved to the People’s Commissariat for Food, later became deputy head of the People’s Commissariat for Food of the Kyrgyz Republic. In 1928, he received an external diploma from the Moscow Industrial and Economic College, and later completed two courses in absentia at the Tashkent Institute of National Economy. In the 1930s, Panyukov headed a number of large industrial construction projects.
In 1940, Panyukov became the Dudinka port head. And after Avraamy Zavenyagin was recalled to Moscow in March 1941, 48-year-old Alexander Panyukov became his successor as head of the Norilsk combine.
At that time, there were few civilian personnel in Norilsk, that is, there was not much to choose from. And although Panyukov had life and managerial experience at industrial enterprises and impressed Zavenyagin with internal discipline, dedication and calmness in difficult situations, he did not have a higher education. In addition, he was completely ignorant in metallurgy, that, of course, created problems.
But Panyukov constantly improve his skills. So, in his free time, at night, Panyukov organized work shifts for himself, and learned from experienced metallurgists. As a result, he headed the Norilsk combine from 1941 to 1948.
It was an extremely difficult time for the Norilsk combine. It was just under construction when it was placed under martial law.
However, it was during the time of Panyukov’s heading that the main workshops of the Big and Small Metallurgical plants were built, the first thermal power plant was launched, mine No. 3/6 started working, a dam was built on Dolgoye lake.
In addition, Panyukov ordered to organize the geological department and the geological museum – the prototype of the current Museum of Norilsk, opened the factory training school – the prototype of vocational schools and the Norilsk Mining and Metallurgical College, later – the Norilsk Industrial Institute.
And it was also on the decision of Panyukov during the war years that a theater appeared in Norilsk and the DITR (The House for Engineers and Technicians) was built – the most beautiful building of the 1940s, regular bus passenger transportation began.
In the History spot photo project previous publication, we told that the lake next to Molodezhny passage was officially called not School, but City one.
Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive