In 1940s there were two Kayerkans
12+

In 1940s there were two Kayerkans

November 21, 2022

In 1940, near the narrow-gauge railway’s Kayerkan station, geologists found a high-quality coal deposit. Three years later, a group of prisoners arrived there, and the construction of the settlement began.

#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. The first buildings – barracks, a dining room, a house for civilians and a house for guards, technological premises and, of course, towers and a watch – were erected by convict builders where geologists worked.

But when in the mid-1940s the first coal adits were laid at the deposit, it turned out that from them to the village – about three kilometers. Then they decided to move housing closer to coal mining.

This is how the Old Kayerkan and the current Kayerkan appeared. Miners and drillers lived in the main settlement, and workers of the geological party, which continued to explore coal, lived in the old one.

Old Kayerkan remained residential until the late 1950s, when the geological party was relocated to the area of ​​the Harayelah ridge. And with the opening of the coal mine, the village found itself in a zone of expansion during industrial explosions. In September 1959, the rest of its population was moved to the main village.

In the History Spot’s previous publication, we told that horse-drawn transport was used in Norilsk until the 1970s: the Norilsk combine was built by people along with horses, which were involved in all types of work.

Follow us on TelegramVKontakte.

Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive

November 21, 2022

All rights reserved ©️ THIS IS TAIMYR online media, 2020-2022

If quoting in whole or in part, a reference to the This is Taimyr is required. The editors are not responsible for the information contained in advertisements. The editors do not provide reference information. Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media. The mass media registration number is ЭЛ No. ФС 77 - 79414 dated 02.11.2020, valid. Distributed in Russian Federation and foreign countries.

Founder: Severny Gorod Media Company LLC, 663300, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Norilsk, Komsomolskaya st., 33a.

Chief editor: Natalia N. Popova

This site uses cookies and services to collect technical visitor data (IP address data, etc.) to ensure performance and improve the service quality. By continuing to use our site, you automatically agree to the use of these technologies:
Accept