Gymnastics was first sport in Norilsk

Gymnastics was first sport in Norilsk

January 10, 2022

The Norilsk people got engaged in gymnastics since 1942: in the fall, the first two gymnastics sections appeared – for adults and children.

#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. Classes took place in the school gym (there was only one school at that time – in a wooden building not far from the Zero Point), up to 120 people came to trainings.

In 1944, the former boiler house building was given to the athletes. The gymnasts themselves laid the floor there, assembled bars, rings and crossbars from scrap materials. On May 1, 1944, the Dynamo gym was opened there. Geographically, it was located behind Octyabrskaya street.

In 1961, workouts started in one of the oldest sports schools in Norilsk. At the city public education department, a children’s and youth gymnastics school was opened, its sportsmen continued to train in the premises of the Dynamo gym.

Artistic gymnastics in Norilsk developed very rapidly. It was practiced not only by small townspeople, but also by adults.

Ten years after the opening, the children’s school moved to the very center of the city – to house number 11 on Leninsky prospect, to the premises of the former Pobeda cinema. Classes were held in the converted foyer and cinema hall. When in the mid-1970s the builders handed over the arena of the Arctica sports palace, gymnasts started training there as well.

Over time, in the sports school, in addition to gymnastics, they began to teach sports acrobatics. This division was further divided into group exercises and jumping on a trampoline. Since the foundation of the school, it has trained more than a hundred masters of sports of the USSR and Russia and over 600 candidates for masters in artistic gymnastics, acrobatics and trampoline jumping.

Outstanding gymnast Natalya Yurchenko, Honored Master of Sports, winner of the 1982 World Cup, 1983 world champion, came out of the Norilsk sports school.

In the last issue of the History Spot photo project, we told about how the Nickel plant pipe was built on the eve of 1941.

Follow us on TelegramInstagram Facebook and Twitter.

Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive

January 10, 2022

All rights reserved ©️ THIS IS TAIMYR online media, 2020-2023

If quoting in whole or in part, a reference to the This is Taimyr is required. The editors are not responsible for the information contained in advertisements. The editors do not provide reference information. Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media. The mass media registration number is ЭЛ No. ФС 77 - 79414 dated 02.11.2020, valid. Distributed in Russian Federation and foreign countries.

Founder: Severny Gorod Media Company LLC, 663300, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Norilsk, Komsomolskaya st., 33a.

Chief editor: Natalia N. Popova

This site uses cookies and services to collect technical visitor data (IP address data, etc.) to ensure performance and improve the service quality. By continuing to use our site, you automatically agree to the use of these technologies: