Until 2016, Zavodskaya street led to the Big Metallurgical (Nickel) Plant on
Mountain Street, on which the First House of Norilsk stood. To the east of it, in the direction of the future Nickel Plant, Zavodskaya stretched.
In 1938, the firstborn of the polar metallurgy was not even included in the project. The construction of the Big Metallurgical Plant, as the Nickel Plant was called until the early 1950s, began only two years later. The design of the future city started almost at the same time.
According to the testimony of the architect Vitold Nepokoichitsky, who came to Norilsk in 1939, at the very first meeting Avraamy Zavenyagin said that a modern, fully equipped city would be designed and built.
The future chief architect of the city project Vitold Nepokoychitsky, together with his wife and colleague Lydia Minenko, for the first ten Norilsk years, lived on Zavodskaya street. From the window of his room in a rubble two-story house, Nepokoichitsky could see landscapes with mounts Rudnaya, Shmidtikha, Gudchikha.
Before the resettlement to the Dolgoye lake outskirts, the inhabitants of Zavodskaya street received water (and coal) from barrels, which were transported by horse, and in winter, they had to dig out not only their porches, but also the street.
At 24 Zavodskaya Street, the construction department of the plant was located. The first directorate of the Second Nickel Plant under construction, the future Nadezhdinsky Plant, was located in a two-story non-preserved building at the corner of Zavodskaya and Oktyabrskaya streets.
Earlier in the History spot photo project we talked about the military garrison on Dikson.
For other issues of our photo project about the history of the city and the combine, go to the History spot section.
Text: Valentina Vachaeva, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive