#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. The monument to the revolution leader was erected in front of the building of the first combined heat and power plant, and to the father of the peoples – on the main alley of the Trud stadium.
It is difficult to document the years of their installation. But judging by the photographs, Lenin was already standing in 1944, and Stalin appeared only after Victory Day.
So, most likely, the first monument in Norilsk depicted Lenin and looked like this: small, thoughtful, even some kind of lyric person.
The fact that he appeared not in the residential area of the village, but near a secure facility, is normal. The first Norilsk thermal power plant provided light, warmth, and hence life to the whole city. A powerful enterprise, noticeable in every sense: a whole town of power engineers grew on the Pestsovaya Sopka hill.
At the entrance to the CHP building, there was a board of honor, portraits of the leaders hung, in the summer even a fountain gurgled. A spacious alley led from the entrance to the main building, along which the power engineers planted tundra willow.
In the History Spot’s previous publication, we told that the Norilsk fish factory not only fed fish to the Norilsk people, but also sent it to the mainland.
Follow us on Telegram, VKontakte.
Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive