The industrial procurement department had a large economy: its own fleet, a fish factory, a construction site. There were air and water ports on Valyok. In the lower reaches of the Pyasina river, near the Kara sea, even the Severnaya coal mine was laid for the needs of the Pyasinsky fleet and crafts.
Procurement points were all over Taimyr: from the 68th parallel in the south, on lake Keta, to the 74th in the north, at cape Vhodnoy. Mining was also carried out on Lama, Melkoye, Glubokoye lakes – those areas were considered close.
The caught fish was brought to the central base in the Valyok village, where there was a glacier and a smokehouse of the fish factory. The catch figures are impressive: in 1943 they started with 14 centners of fish per year, and by the end of the 1970s they were already producing 11 thousand tons annually. Fish was fed not only to the Norilsk people, but also sent to the mainland.
In the History Spot’s previous publication, we told that the Valyok river had been named after a fish.
Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive