#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. Today, the building on Octyabrskaya street is abandoned, but back in 1944, all Norilsk enterprises contributed to its furnishing and equipping: tables and chairs were made at the woodworking plant, blackboards and drawing boards were made at the brick one.
But it was clear that the unpretentious two-story building would not be enough for the northernmost educational institution, and it would have to be relocated to the new part of the city.
According to the first master plan, the two buildings of the technical school were first planned to be located on the future Komsomolskaya square, on the site of the current Palace of Culture.
However, when work on the building project began in 1950, the technical school position was defined on the South Line. The future street of the 50th anniversary of October was the facade of the new city and at the same time its front door.
The building, designed by architects Nepokoichitsky and Minenko, was built in 1952. At that time it was among the most beautiful, largest and highest ones. Six floors, functional attic and basement. And also an elevator – probably the very first one in Norilsk.
In addition to the mining and metallurgical technical school, the building eventually housed the evening faculty of the Krasnoyarsk Institute of Non-Ferrous Metals, the All-Union Correspondence Polytechnic Institute educational and consulting center, and even the first vocational school.
In 1961, the Norilsk Evening Industrial Institute, the northernmost in Russia, began its work in the building. The first graduation of the NEII in 1966 consisted of one hundred engineers.
Now in the building, on the facade of which the words ‘technical school’ is still preserved, students of the Polar State University study.
In the last publication of the History Spot photo project, we told about how the Soviet stores windows raised the customers’ aesthetic level.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive