The icebreaker Vaigach was laid down in St. Petersburg in 1907 at the Nevskii shipyard and launched in 1908. It entered service in 1909. And in 1913, an expedition on the icebreakers Taimyr and Vaigach under the leadership of the 2nd rank captain Boris Vilkitsky discovered the Land of Nicholas II which was mapped by the discoverer of Norilsk Nikolay Urvantsev as Severnaya Zemlya.
Last year, in the Kara sea, the several shipwrecks’ location was determined. One of them is the icebreaking steamer Vaigach. It was discovered after a diving inspection by the Russian Geographical Society and the Northern Fleet joint expedition’s members.
After the RGS confirmed that it was the Vaigach, its scientific archive was replenished with documents from the Boris Vilkitsky and hydrograph Nikolay Evgenov, the icebreaker’s watch chief, family archives. This information was reported to the media by the director of the Russian Geographical Society Expeditionary department Sergey Chechulin.
Text: Valentina Vachaeva, Photo: Russian Geographical Society / rgo.ru