#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. The predecessor of the corporate university, the department of personnel training, was created by the order of Avraamy Zavenyagin in 1938. The Norilsk combine under construction needed qualified workers.
A year later, the first professional courses appeared – for steam boilers maintenance workers. The first 100 people were trained.
In 1942, the personnel training department became a training complex, it was staffed with the first full-time teachers. The combine and the city management defined the task of personnel training as the most important and responsible one.
During the Great Patriotic War, the combine’s production capacity increased dramatically: it was a supplier of front-line metal. Under those conditions, the technical training groups’ work quality was equalized with the plan fulfillment indicators. Then more than three thousand people were trained, and ten thousand workers improved their skills. Over 15 000 people completed vocational training in the first ten years.
As for the “geography” of the educational organization, at first it was located near the Zero Point, on Gornaya street, and in 1975 it moved to the current building on Talnahskaya street, 31.
In 2007, the Norilsk Nickel Corporate University was established on the basis of the Corporate Training Center and the Personnel Training Center. It now trains an average of 50 000 people annually.
In the History Spot’s previous publication, we told that Elizaveta Urvantseva traveled alone from Norilsk to Krasnoyarsk – on reindeer and by water.
Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive