#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. In 1947, the Norilsk village council of deputies’ executive committee gave names to the first Gorstroy (Eng.: City construction) streets in the city’s new part that was just under construction. The Eastern Line was also on this list: the future Talnahskaya street which length is 2 kilometers 800 meters now. Along with the Eastern line were the Southern (future 50 years of October street) and Komsomolskaya lines.
The Eastern Line really was the Norilsk outskirts for a long time. Quarters 17, 22 and 28, memorable to Norilsk residents with cozy two-story houses with arched water conduits, overlooked it from the city side. On the other side there were the Gorlag’s (Eng.: City prison) 6th women’s camp department’s former barracks and the children’s labor colony, and further on there was a wasteland and tundra.
At first, railway tracks ran along the future Talnahskaya street center, and there was the Gorodskaya (Eng.: City) railway station on the supermarket No. 3 place. Freight trains and commuter trains ran along the railway, taking Norilsk residents to Talnah and its mines.
The country learned a new toponym Talnah in 1960, when geologists discovered a new ore deposit. The next decade passed for Norilsk under its sign: all forces and means were directed there, on the Norilka’s right bank.
And the Eastern line stretched after the growing city and waved its entire length by that time. In 1966, two streets were ‘cut out’ from it: Talnahskaya and Begicheva streets.
By the way, once Talnahskaya street had almost lost her beautiful name. In 1981, most of it was wanted to be renamed Kosygin avenue. Alexei Kosygin, the Council’s of Ministers of the USSR chairman, Soviet Prime Minister, the second figure in the state, had visited Norilsk twice. Fortunately, the renaming did not happen.
In the History spot photo project previous publication we told about Alexey Loginov.
Follow us on Telegram, VKontakte.
Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive