Initially, the design capacity of CHPP-2 was 600 MW, the main fuel was hard coal, and the emergency fuel was diesel fuel.
The CHPP-2 construction began in March 1965, and in 1969, the power unit No. 1 with a capacity of 100 MW was put into operation.
To power the Talnah thermal power plant, the Haraelah river mouth was blocked by an earth dike. This is how the Harayelah reservoir appeared.
The CHPP-2 was designed and built as a power plant. During the first years of development of Talnah, the village and the mines were supplied with heat by a boiler house. The first boilers worked on coal, since coal adits were made right in the Talnah mountains – in the village of Listvyanka.
By the early 1970s, the boiler house capacity was not enough to heat houses and mines under construction. In 1970, turbines were reconstructed at CHPP-2. The station began to produce not only electrical, but also thermal energy. At the end of the same year, the second power unit with a capacity of 100 MW was put into operation.
In 1972, the CHPP-2 boiler units were switched to gas combustion – natural gas became the main fuel for the station.
Recall that the first Norilsk thermal power plant was commissioned in 1942. It celebrates its birthday in December.
In the History Spot’s previous publication, we told that scientists estimate the Taimyr lake Lama’s age at 100 million years.
Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive