Taimyrsky mine construction started in 1974
12+

Taimyrsky mine construction started in 1974

September 28, 2020

“The trunks of the fourth Talnah giant will be four to five times deeper than those of the Mayak”, wrote the Gornyak newspaper in 1974, when the construction began.

The ore body lies at a depth of 1000–1200 meters there. The development of the Taimyrsky ore deposits began from the horizons of the Octyabrsky mine. At the first stage of construction, part of the equipment, concrete, compressed air and other necessary resources came from the giant mine, which greatly accelerated and greatly simplified the construction of the Taimyrsky mine.

The first stage of the mine was commissioned on December 31, 1982, and Taimyrsky was put into operation

In December 1978, the air supply barrel was commissioned. For the first time in the USSR, in the conditions of the Far North, a record depth was reached – 1428 meters. The first stage of the mine was commissioned on December 31, 1982, and Taimyrsky was put into operation. The first ore was unearthed in early 1983 from depths where no one in the world has ever mined ore. In 1996, with the completion of the sixth start-up complex construction, the mine reached its design capacity.

The working conditions at the mine are very difficult: the temperature rises with depth, the risk of rock bursts increases, and equipment operation issues arise.

Read other materials of our photo project in the History spot section.

Text: Svetlana Samokhina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive

September 28, 2020

All rights reserved ©️ THIS IS TAIMYR online media, 2020

If quoting in whole or in part, a reference to the This is Taimyr is required. The editors are not responsible for the information contained in advertisements. The editors do not provide reference information. Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media. Certificate of registration of mass media is ЭЛ No. ФС 77 - 79414 dated 02.11.2020, valid. Distributed in Russian Federation and foreign countries.

Founder: Severny Gorod Media Company LLC, 663300, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Norilsk, Komsomolskaya st., 33a.

Chief editor: Natalia N. Popova