The mine No.7 became an independent economic unit on August 2, 1945. The construction began a year later. In 1952, the mines 7 and 9 merged into one – 7/9. In 1959, it was joined with the mining enterprise No.8 and named Zapolyarny.
The field of the combined mine is located in the northern part of the Norilsk-1 common deposit. In the pre-Talnakh period, Zapolyarny was the main supplier of impregnated and rich sulfide ore for the Norilsk concentration plant.
Many well-known Norilsk citizens attended the Zapolyarny school. One of the most striking figures was Peter Zhmurko, who started out as a binder at the mine. A former Norillag prisoner who was serving time for student extremism, as soon as the opportunity arose, he got a higher education and became the head of the mine. Before leaving for the post of Deputy Minister in the Ministry of Nonferrous Metallurgy, Zhmurko headed the entire mining industry of the Norilsk combine. In 1982, he became the eleventh honorary citizen of Norilsk.
For other materials of our photo project, see the History spot tag.
Text: Varvara Sosnovskaya, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive