The administrative building project’s author, Vitold Nepokoychitsky, before leaving Norilsk, actively fought against everything that, in his opinion, disfigured the architectural appearance of the city. He was against the construction of the second building of the institute, where he worked from 1939 to 1973.
The brainchild of Vitold Nepokoichitsky and his team, which was conceived as the architectural dominant of the Guards Square, was not lucky from the very beginning.
The twelve-story building of the House of Industry turned into a five-story hotel building. Later it was built on: two floors in the side parts and one high in the central part of the building.
It so happened that in the year of the architect’s death, in 1987, the management of the Norilsk combine moved from Zavenyagin square to the building at 2 Gvardeiskaya square.
Text: Varvara Sosnovskaya, Photo: Nikolay Shchipko, Olga Polyanskaya and the Nornickel polar division archive