#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. Teams of designers and surveyors immediately left for the site of the future construction. They built quickly: at the beginning of September 1956, the first building was ready for tourists. And the official birth took place on November 3.
At the time of its creation, it was a number of small houses for vacationers, where the Norilsk combine sent its best employees, rewarding them with free trips.
In 1958, Zapolyarye was reorganized into a sanatorium. In 1966, the first seaside building appeared at the Norilsk sanatorium. At the same time, the project of its own pool was designed in Zapolyarye.
In 1980-1985, a new sanatorium complex for Norilsk residents was erected by Yugoslavia builders. So, on June 15, 1984, the campers got the eighth building of Zapolyarye: 129 people settled in single and double rooms.
The modern Zapolyarye has repeatedly entered the top 100 best Russian health resorts.
For other issues of our photo project about the history of the city and the combine, go to the History spot section.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive