Norilsk residential buildings rarely got electricity in 1940s
12+

Norilsk residential buildings rarely got electricity in 1940s

May 17, 2022

On October 29, 1938, by the Norilsk combine head Avraamy Zavenyagin’s order, the chief power engineer department was created. At first, there were only six people in his staff.

#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. The department was supposed to manage the power plant operation – two years before that, in July 1936, a central power station (CPS-1) had been launched in Norilsk from five locomobiles with a capacity of 250 kW.

In addition, the department was in charge of networks and substations, acceptance of new work from the electrical installation shop, supervision of compliance with the rules of technical operation, all issues of planning and designing the plant’s electrical facilities.

In May 1939, the temporary power station’s, TPS-2, first unit was put into operation. In the early 1940s, it worked in a prohibitive mode – it gave out 7300 kW. But even that was too little for expanding production, and electricity was rarely supplied to residential buildings in the village.

In 1940, Norilsk’s high-voltage network already had a length of over 30 kilometers. In June 1941, the Norilsk thermal power plant first buildings construction began, the same one that is heating Norilsk today.

In the History Spot photo project previous publication, we told that only few workers with membership cards were allowed into the House of Engineering and Technical Workers.

Follow us on TelegramVKontakte.

May 17, 2022

All rights reserved ©️ THIS IS TAIMYR online media, 2020-2022

If quoting in whole or in part, a reference to the This is Taimyr is required. The editors are not responsible for the information contained in advertisements. The editors do not provide reference information. Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media. The mass media registration number is ЭЛ No. ФС 77 - 79414 dated 02.11.2020, valid. Distributed in Russian Federation and foreign countries.

Founder: Severny Gorod Media Company LLC, 663300, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Norilsk, Komsomolskaya st., 33a.

Chief editor: Natalia N. Popova

This site uses cookies and services to collect technical visitor data (IP address data, etc.) to ensure performance and improve the service quality. By continuing to use our site, you automatically agree to the use of these technologies:
Accept