#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. It all started with technical and accounting forms, orders of the Norilskstroy management. In 1938, leaflets began to be printed for a wide range of readers: ‘Planes are flying to Norilsk from the front – what are we going to load the planes with?’ or ‘Builder! Do everything to start up the sulfuric acid plant in time!’
On August 7, 1939, the Pioneer printing machine printed the first issue of the first Norilsk large circulation – Norilskstroevets. Avraamy Zavenyagin was the initiator of its release. The circulation was 1,500 copies. The retail price is five kopecks.
Even books were printed in the Norilsk printing house. In 1943, a collection of children’s stories about the war by journalist Yevgeny Ryabchikov – Submarine ship – was published, and in 1944 – a brochure about Norilsk by Anatoly Shevelev.
The printing house was located first on Oktyabrskaya street in the Old town, not far from the Trud stadium, later – in one of the premises of the metallurgical workshop. In 1978, it moved to the Printing House, built specially for it, at Komsomolskaya street 33a. In the same place, in the 1980s, another building of the printing house was laid – a newspaper-duplicating complex, where it was planned to print central newspapers for the Norilsk residents, transmitted by satellite. But this fantastic prospect did not advance beyond the zero cycle.
For other materials of our photo project about the history of Norilsk and Nornickel, go to the History spot section.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive