#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. Of course, exhibitions of paintings by local artists and collectors were held before: in the House of Engineering Workers, in the Palace of Culture, and one of the first exhibition halls appeared in 1957 in the red corner of the Copper plant. But the first art museum in the city opened in 1973.
The art gallery was called people’s gallery – it was financed by the trade union, the city and the Norilsk combine. At first, the exhibition hall was located in the House of Technology, on Komsomolskaya street, 12.
The first exhibits in the collection were 53 works – paintings, drawings and sculptures, donated by the RSFSR Artists Union’s Exhibitions Directorate.
Three years after the opening, the People’s Art Gallery received its first own premises at the intersection of Kotulsky passage and Ordzhonikidze street, and soon became the Norilsk branch of the Krasnoyarsk Art Gallery.
In 1978, the gallery moved again – to a new building on Talnahskaya street, 78, where it is still located. Then it gained independence and its current name – the Norilsk Art Gallery, the northernmost art museum in Russia.
Today the art gallery is a part of the Norilsk Museum – museum and exhibition complex. And its funds – more than five thousand works – are part of the general museum collection, which contains 78 thousand items.
In the History Spot’s previous publication, we told that 65 years ago a city market opened on Monchegorskaya street.