#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. Only in the early 1950s it became Komsomolskaya, and not a street, but a line, by analogy with the city’s Southern and Eastern lines. Buildings here at first were built only from the even side.
School No. 1 was one of the first buildings on Komsomolskaya line. Designed for 880 students, it was built very quickly, in the summer of 1949. The building was handed over by September 1. Prior to this, the children huddled on the first floor of a two-story building at Monchegorskaya street, b.2.
The Stalinets newspaper wrote about the school:
“This is a huge four-story building, the gym’s can accommodate volleyball and basketball courts. There were a radio center, a reading room, a medical room, an assembly hall with the great scientists and writers’ busts and a stage, a winter garden – a room with flowers and aquarium”.
A year later, school No. 4 was built according to the same project, and in 1953 school No. 6 was opened on Komsomolskaya line.
In the early 1950s, in front of school No. 1, the so-called ‘mountain’s’ improvement was actively going on: a city park was laid out, named after the Komsomol’s 30th anniversary, or simply Komsomolsky park. Now it is difficult to say whether the park was named after the street, or the street after the park, or whether it happened at the same time.
The park was quite extensive: it descended from the hill’s top to Dolgoe lake occupying the space where the Arktika is now located. Stairs from schools No. 1 and No. 6 led to it. There were gazebos where lovers made dates, a wooden dance floor was built in the park in summer and benches were installed. Flowers were planted in flowerpots and flower beds, lawns were sown, a flower garden with poppies and perennial herbs was planted.
According to the first general plans, it was assumed that Komsomolsky park would occupy the entire territory of the ‘mountain’: walking alleys were supposed to lie on it in concentric circles, and they wanted to put a large gazebo with an observation deck at the top. But then the project was adjusted, putting a city swimming pool at the top in 1959.
In the History spot photo project previous publication we told about the Olimpiets store.
Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive