Kayerkan born as coal deposit

Kayerkan born as coal deposit

September 08, 2022

Since the point ‘Kayerkan’ appeared on the Norilsk maps, this settlement has been a railway station, a location for a geological party, a camp department, a workers’ settlement, a city, and a district.

#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. The first date in the history of Kayerkan refers to the spring of 1940. At that time, preparations were underway for the Norilsk-Dudinka broad gauge railway construction. And near the Kayerkan station, a prospectors’ hand-drilled well unearthed high-quality coal. That discovery cannot be called accidental. In the 1940s, under an agreement with the combine in the Norilsk region, two geological survey parties worked. One of them conducted reconnaissance right to the west of Norilsk: from Zub mountain to Kayerkan.

In the same summer of 1940, the imprisoned geologist Sheinmann and the geotechnical technician Pleshakov compiled a geological map on a scale of 1:50 000 of the Kayerkan area and the neighboring area of ​​the Daldykan stream. The tenants confirmed the prospects of the coal deposit named Kayerkansky. Since that time, its research and exploration began.

In 1942, geologists laid out the rationale that large coal deposits were hidden in the area. This was the reason for the first Kayerkan mine construction start in May 1943. Norilsk coal in those years went not only for the plant’s own needs, but also for export – for ships arriving along the Yenisey and the Northern Sea Route. That is why the Kayerkansky deposit development began – there was no longer enough coal from the Norilsk mines.

The first group of builders-prisoners arrived at the site in early 1943. Here is how the Kayerkan chronicler Nikolay Shaporev described it:

“The work began in a swampy desert covered with sparse tundra vegetation. The settlement of Calargon originally served for housing (three kilometers from the mine construction site). We started with the construction of housing and commercial buildings. By the beginning of 1944, the settlement of Kayerkan had already grown. It had two barracks, a kitchen-dining room, a house for civilians, a house for VOKhR, a compressor room, a winch room, a charging station, a watch, towers, a carpenter’s workshop, an overpass, a disinfection chamber and a stable.

In the History Spot’s previous publication, we told that in the 1970s the Norilsk authorities were looking for a place to build another city – a satellite of Norilsk.

Follow us on TelegramVKontakte.

Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive

September 08, 2022

All rights reserved ©️ THIS IS TAIMYR online media, 2020-2023

If quoting in whole or in part, a reference to the This is Taimyr is required. The editors are not responsible for the information contained in advertisements. The editors do not provide reference information. Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media. The mass media registration number is ЭЛ No. ФС 77 - 79414 dated 02.11.2020, valid. Distributed in Russian Federation and foreign countries.

Founder: Severny Gorod Media Company LLC, 663300, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Norilsk, Komsomolskaya st., 33a.

Chief editor: Natalia N. Popova

This site uses cookies and services to collect technical visitor data (IP address data, etc.) to ensure performance and improve the service quality. By continuing to use our site, you automatically agree to the use of these technologies: