So, on April 22, 1952, the first buyers entered the central department store on Gvardeiskaya square. It was still nameless, it was named Talnah only 11 years later.
In 1964, for the first time, the state flag was raised over the new building of the city executive committee, now it is the municipal government hall. On the same day, the first cultural center, the Younost (eng.: Youth) club, was opened in Talnah.
On April 22, 1965, the first underground explosion thundered at the first mine – Mayak – in Talnah, and the first tons of associated gangue ore came from its 175th horizon.
April 22, 1970 – on the centenary of the leader – the first hockey players took to the ice of the Arctica sports palace. The skating rink was not yet completed, the deficiencies continued to be eliminated during the year after the holiday.
An even more epochal event was timed to the same day – the filling of the Ust-Hantai hydroelectric power station reservoir began.
In 1974, the next gift was the supermarket No. 1 on Metallurgists square. Those self-service stores were a new form of trade, analogous to today’s supermarkets.
Another gift – at the close of Lenin’s anniversaries celebration – on April 20, 1987: the builders handed over the library at Solnechny passage, 2, designed for 40 thousand storage units.
In the last issue of the History Spot photo project, we told the story of the Eastern Line, which is now Talnahskaya street.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive