#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. On July 3, 1936, by a resolution of the Council of People’s Committees, the Regulation on the State Automobile Inspection of the Main Directorate of the Workers ‘and Peasants’ Militia of the USSR NKVD was approved.
The task of the traffic police was to combat accidents, record transport and control the drivers training.
At the same time, in parallel with the traffic police, there was a Department for the regulation of street traffic. Only in 1961 they were united into a single structure.
According to archival information, in the village of Norilsk, the automobile inspection was established in 1945. In accordance with the order of the head of the Norilsk combine, Major General Alexander Panyukov, the positions of senior engineer-car inspector and technician-car inspector were introduced.
At that time the Norilsk State Traffic Inspectorate was subordinate to the assistant of the combine’s chief safety engineer, and the ADRI motorbike was handed over to the traffic police for use. Earlier, we told that in the 1940s, horse patrols were used in the city.
In 1949, traffic controllers appeared in the village, and in 1953, when Norilsk was granted the city status, a city traffic police service was created.
In the last issue of the History Spot photo project, we talked about the Norilsk markets, where they sold everything – from blue to satin underwear.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive