First Norilsk school opened in 1930
12+

First Norilsk school opened in 1930

May 24, 2021

In 1930, in the Turuhansk region, which included the territory of Taimyr, 96 percent of the population was illiterate.

#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. But at that time the first four polar schools appeared: in Dudinka, Hatanga, the village of Tolsty Nos and Norilsk. Under Norilsk the Norilsk wintering (Chapel) was meant which was located on the Rybnaya river. There, the first school in our region was opened, which was a boarding school for indigenous children – Dolgans. At first, only eight children studied there.

The first school on the territory of today’s Norilsk, that is, the first school of Norilskstroy, began to work only in 1935: seven students of different ages and different backgrounds studied in one room. Those were the children of geologists and civilians.

The only teacher at the same time taught some children the alphabet, and others – actions with large numbers. But the next year it was a real elementary school with separate classes and four teachers.

The building of the first secondary school in the village of Norilsk was built by September 1, 1938. It was located in the present Old Town, in the area of ​​the Zero Point: it was wooden, one-story, unplastered construction, the cracks between the logs were plugged with moss. In 1944, 470 students were studying at the school. The small wooden building became cramped, and school №2 was opened in the village.

In 1949, construction of the modern school №1 began on Komsomolskaya street, which is still standing. The elegant four-story building was built very quickly, just over the summer.

The Stalinets newspaper wrote: “This is a huge four-storey building, the size of the gym can accommodate volleyball and basketball courts. There is a radio center, a reading room, a medical room, an assembly hall with busts of great scientists and writers, with a stage, a winter garden – a room with flowers and an aquarium”.

Other materials of our photo project are in the History spot section.

Follow us on TelegramInstagram and Facebook.

Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive

May 24, 2021

All rights reserved ©️ THIS IS TAIMYR online media, 2020

If quoting in whole or in part, a reference to the This is Taimyr is required. The editors are not responsible for the information contained in advertisements. The editors do not provide reference information. Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media. Certificate of registration of mass media is ЭЛ No. ФС 77 - 79414 dated 02.11.2020, valid. Distributed in Russian Federation and foreign countries.

Founder: Severny Gorod Media Company LLC, 663300, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Norilsk, Komsomolskaya st., 33a.

Chief editor: Natalia N. Popova