The earliest mention of the Dudinka port found in official documents is dated November 3, 1937. In the order of the head of Norilsk combine Vladimir Matveev on Norilskstroy and the NKVD forced labor camp, one of the points read: “To appoint comrade Antonov Semyon Anatolyevich head of the goods expedition. To appoint comrade Uskov Fyodor Vavilovich the head of the port as an assistant to the head of the expedition”. This order was found in the archives not long ago, before it the port workers counted their dates from December 8, 1944, when the Dudinka port was organized by the order of the Council of People’s Commissars.
The port fleet in 1939 consisted of two barges, six boats and two steamers – Splavschik and Yenisey. In the winter of 1939/40, the construction of the sea pier began, and a little later the ships could be unloaded in Dudinka. During the first years, the port’s cargo turnover was low. In 1939, it amounted to 247 thousand tons. And 45 years later, in 1984, for the first time it stepped over the bar of 6 million tons of cargo.
Since May 1, 1978, with the advent of shallow draft icebreakers capable of entering the Yenisey, the Murmansk – Dudinka Arctic line began to operate all year round. The Dudinka port is still the largest transport hub in Taimyr and an important subdivision of Nornickel.
Read other materials of our photo project in the History spot section.
Text: Svetlana Samokhina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive