#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. The iInstitute was created in 1937, when the Northern Sea Route was being intensively developed. The Institute was aimed at creating its own food base for the industrial centers of the Far North.
Twenty years after the discovery, in 1957, the scientists were transferred closer to the places of study – to Norilsk.
The institute was located in a two-story building. Now there are nine-storey buildings of Kirov street in that place.
The institute was there for many years, until in the mid-1980s it moved to new, purpose-built buildings at Komsomolskaya street, 1
The new building worked successfully until 2009, when it was urgently resettled due to a crack on the facade. It was not possible to save the house, although money was allocated for its reconstruction.
Immediately after the move of the scientific institute to Norilsk, the city authorities asked scientists to help develop a focused scientific approach to the problem of Norilsk landscaping.
The Institute developed a whole area of polar landscaping theory and practice. In the greenhouses, 150 varieties of perennial flowers were grown, and the city nursery for shrubs and trees was established on five hectares to provide planting material. In 1960, a list of 74 objects appeared in the Norilsk landscaping plan.
Scientists developed hundreds of other directions. For example, the system for the rational use of the Far North resources, the acclimatization of the musk ox on the Taimyr peninsula, projects to create a network of protected zones in the region, the recipe for compound feed for reindeer, the technology of harvesting antlers, the scientific foundations of commercial reindeer husbandry.
The institute has been conducting scientific activities to this day, but now it’s called the Research Institute of the Arctic Agriculture and Ecology.
For other issues of our photo project about the history of the city and the combine, go to the History spot section.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive