#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. The Norilsk bookseller was founded on November 15, 1951. The book shops were located at 7 Leninsky prospect, where later the Mysl (Thought) political book store operated.
Branches of bookstores also worked in more unexpected places: in Detsky Mir, in school № 6, in the Old Town, in Valyok settlement.
In 1963, at 29 Leninsky, a specialized bookstore was opened – the House of Books. And at the end of the 1960s – the Gorizont store appeared on Talnahskaya street.
Books as goods of high demand were sold at polling stations, in the Palace of Culture lobby – before party conferences – and even at street fairs. A special place of pilgrimage for reading lovers was the second-hand bookshop.
Readers of those years remember that the cherished volumes were often sold in sets: those that were poorly bought went together with rare books. This way the Soviet stores carried out the plan, getting rid of the slow-moving goods.
In the last issue of the History Spot photo project, we talked about the fact that during the war it was forbidden to build social and cultural institutions buildings, but in the meantime, the House of Engineers, a stadium, a gym and a ski base were built in Norilsk.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive