#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. The Norilsk school No. 1 with in-depth study of physics and mathematics named after Avraamy Zavenyagin celebrated its 85th anniversary.
An award ceremony was held in the assembly hall for teachers and school employees who contributed to the development of the education system.
The history of the school started together with the history of the city. In 1935, at the request of the women’s council of the Norilsk village, Norilskstroy allocated one room for classes, and seven students sat down at the desks of the first school. In the next academic year, by September 1, schoolchildren were allocated a special building – a wooden one-story house at the Zero Point. The classes were occupied by six to eight pupils – children of Norilskstroy employees. The school was heated with coal and wood. Children helped the adults: they sawed wood and carried coal.
In 1941, the first director of the school, Yevgeny Samsonov, the head teacher and four high school students went to the front. The pupils’ memories of those times remained:
“We remember that they gave us the following task: to collect warm clothes from each apartment to be sent to the front. We, pioneers and Komsomol members, not only collected things, but also knitted mittens and socks. Then we received letters in which they wrote to us: “Your mittens keep us warm, and it is easier to beat the enemy in them”. We didn’t have sparkling factory toys for the New Year. We made them ourselves, as well as our costumes”.
During its existence, the school repeatedly changed its addresses: in 1946 it was transferred to a new building in Sotsgorod on Octyabrskaya street, in the current building it settled in 1949: then a modern building with sports and assembly halls, a winter garden was built. In the first school in 1947-1957 the famous tenor and soloist of the Bolshoi Theater Vladislav Piavko studied.
In 1999, a fire broke out in the school, but in 2000 the students returned to a new, renovated school. In the same year, it celebrated its 65th anniversary. In December 2002, the school history museum was opened. The educational institution was visited by the composer Boris Vershinin, a former student of the school, author of many popular songs about Norilsk.
In 2004, the first school became a laureate of the School of the Year all-Russian competition. In 2016, a governor’s engineering and technological class and pre-profile physical and mathematical classes were opened there.
Text: Maria Sokolova, Photo: open sources and Norilsk Education Department