#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. It is interesting that of the five streets – Sevastopolskaya, Monchegorskaya, Pionerskaya, Yuzhnaya and Vostochnaya lines – only Sevastopolskaya retained its original name. The rest are also well known to us now, but under different names.
Pionerskaya street was called Bohdan Hmelnitsky street, because in the basement floor of its apartment building No. 1 – where the art residence is now – was the Pioneers palace. In 1952, it moved to Komsomolskaya street, 10, and the name Pionerskaya lost its original cause.
Old-timers tried to defend this name, claiming that the street was named after other pioneers – pioneers of the Arctic. But in 1954, for the 300th anniversary of the reunification of Ukraine with Russia, it was renamed in honor of the Ukrainian hetman Hmelnitsky.
Another street of those first ones – Monchegorskaya – has changed names several times. In 1960, there was no Lenin street in Norilsk, and the authorities renamed Monchegorskaya in honor of the revolution leader. A year later, Stalin avenue also became Lenin avenue and, so as not to get confused, the street was renamed again, that time in honor of the revolutionary Sergey Kirov.
As for the southern and eastern lines, in those years they were the geographical boundaries of the new city.
The southern line for the next anniversary of the revolution was renamed 50 years of October street. And from the Eastern line in 1966 Talnahskaya and Begichev were carved out.
In the last issue of the History spot photo project, we talked about the fact that 70 kilometers from Norilsk they were going to build a steel plant.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive