#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. In July 1954, the Norilsk Passenger Motor Transport Office – NPMTO (in the future – the Norilsk Production Association of Passenger Motor Transport, NPAPMT) – appeared in Norilsk. At that time, the problem of passenger traffic in the newborn city sharply exacerbated.
The Central Motor Transport Bureau (CMTB), which also included a bus garage located on the site of a copper plant, could not cope with the increased passenger traffic. On May 17, 1954, by a resolution of the USSR Council of Ministers, it was decided to create an independent passenger office in Norilsk.
On July 14, 1954, Joseph Safronets was assigned the NPMTO chief. This date can be considered the starting point of the NPAPMT history. The new name – Norilsk Production Association of Passenger Motor Transport – appeared in 1977.
NPAPMT flourished in the 1980s, when the number of employees reached 2,400 people, and the fleet consisted of more than 500 buses and about 150 taxis.
The production area consisted of six convoys, central auto repair shops and a major overhaul area.
More than 400 buses went to the routes of Norilsk, Talnah, Kayerkan and even Dudinka and Igarka every day. The convoys of the latter two cities split from the NPAPMT in the early 1990s.
In the last issue of the History Spot photo project, we told that barrels with local kvass in Norilsk were a sign of summer.
Follow us on Telegram, Instagram , Facebook and Twitter.
Text: Svetlana Samohina, Photo: Nornickel Polar Division archive