Kayerkan officially became working village in 1956
12+

Kayerkan officially became working village in 1956

September 14, 2022

At the end of 1956, Kayerkan got the official status of a working village, and at the same time all attached attributes: in particular, some independence in the form of its own village council.

#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. Two factors justified such “independence”: the remoteness from Norilsk and the sufficient number of inhabitants. But the latter – nearly five thousand people – was reached taking into account not only the population of Kayerkan itself, but also residents of nearby villages and railway stations.

Thus, in the late 1950s, Kayerkan, like Norilsk, consisted of settlements scattered around the district and at enterprises, construction sites and transport hubs. In Norilsk in those years there were over 30 villages. There were six more points in addition to Kayerkan: the village of Kalargon, the railway stations of Vologochan, Ambarnya, Alykel and Daldykan, as well as the exploration party in the area of ​​the Kayerkan village. This is how they were described in the documents of those years:

Residents of houses and “individual buildings” (home-made huts) along the railway, on the nameless travels, also fell under the Kayerkan jurisdiction. What did this population do? It served passing trains, monitored the railway switches and semaphors serviceability, cleaned the paths, worked in a depot on the repair of rolling stock. They had to get to the store, to school, to the hospital – on foot or on a passing train – to Kayerkan, or even to Norilsk or Dudinka.

In the History Spot’s previous publication, we told that the Norilsk combine active construction went on during the war years.

Follow us on TelegramVKontakte.

Text: Svetlana Ferapontova, Photo: Nornickel Polar Branch archive

September 14, 2022

All rights reserved ©️ THIS IS TAIMYR online media, 2020-2022

If quoting in whole or in part, a reference to the This is Taimyr is required. The editors are not responsible for the information contained in advertisements. The editors do not provide reference information. Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media. The mass media registration number is ЭЛ No. ФС 77 - 79414 dated 02.11.2020, valid. Distributed in Russian Federation and foreign countries.

Founder: Severny Gorod Media Company LLC, 663300, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Norilsk, Komsomolskaya st., 33a.

Chief editor: Natalia N. Popova

This site uses cookies and services to collect technical visitor data (IP address data, etc.) to ensure performance and improve the service quality. By continuing to use our site, you automatically agree to the use of these technologies:
Accept