The history of the city, which was called Sverdlovsk from 1924 till 1991, has more than one hundred years. However, the systematization of Yekaterinburg streets was carried out only twice – in 1965 and 30 years later. According to the data of 1995, the city now has 1244 names, 865 of them are streets’ ones. There is Norilskaya street among them.
Its length is a little more than two kilometers. There are 80 houses, a trading house, a warehouse complex, manufacturing and trading, building and pharmaceutical companies. An Orthodox shelter for girls in the name of the Saint Martyr Elizaveta Feodorovna was opened there in 2001.
There are no exact data in the archive when Rabochaya Street in the Kirovsky district of the city was renamed Norilskaya. But it was listed in the reference book of Rabinovich and Sherstobitov The Streets of Sverdlovsk, published by the Central Ural Book Publishing House in 1965. During the city’s development, many of its streets, alleys and squares disappeared as a result of reconstruction or demolition of entire neighborhoods and the construction of new buildings instead. Some names were changed for ideological or other reasons.
It is logical to assume that the change of the plates on the houses with new names occurred when Talnah was declared an all-Union Komsomol construction and volunteers went to the Norilsk Combine from all over the country.
Text: Elena Popova, Photo: open sources