#ARCTIC. #SIBERIA. THIS IS TAIMYR. It has three districts: Zenkovsky, Central and Rudnichny. In which of them you can find the toponym, formed from the polar Norilsk, is not difficult to guess. Moreover, in Prokopyevsk there is also the 2nd Norilskaya street.
Modern Prokopyevsk is located on the territory of several ancient Siberian settlements: Zenkova, Usyat, Safonovo and the village of Monastyrskaya, the appearing of which is associated with the founding of the male Nativity of Christ monastery, which existed from 1648 to 1769 on the left bank of the Tom river.
At the beginning of the last century, the settlements were merged, and in 1931 Prokopyevsk received the status of a city. In 1945, 145 thousand people already lived there. By that time, the city was already a conglomerate of residential areas and individual houses, standing between mines, dumps and industrial sites.
Today there are 1295 streets in Prokopyevsk. The main area of the city is called Tyrgan – this is the unofficial name of the western quarters of Prokopyevsk, located in the Rudnichny administrative region.
There are modern buildings, many shopping centers, fountains, monuments, cinemas. The Solnechny Gorodok recreation park is not far away.
The monument to Jesus Christ, created by analogy with the monument in Rio de Janeiro, only smaller is among unusual attractions. It is set at the highest point in the city.
And in the forest there is the Cathedral of the Nativity of John the Baptist, known to all residents of the region.
The most beautiful Tyrgan avenue is named after the builders. In Prokopyevsk there are many place names associated with professions. However, many of them have changed their names over time. So, for example, Shishkina street, named after the Hero of the USSR, was called Factory before the Great Patriotic War. There is a mining technical college – one of the oldest educational institutions in the city, where since 1932 employees for the coal industry have been trained.
It is in this place, at the confluence with Shishkina street, Norilskaya street is located. And parallel to it goes the 2nd Norilskaya one, which practically gets lost in the taiga. The houses here are mostly private, most of them built in 1948-1949.
At 21 Norilskaya street, there is a complex of trampolines. The beginning of this sports facility was laid back in 1955, when enthusiasts of the mining technical school built a simple springboard on a snowy slope, and then a modern for those times 40-meter springboard, which is still in use. Then ski jumping as a sport started to be developed, as well as ski nordic combination.
This sports complex regularly hosts training for students of sports schools, as well as competitions in ski jumping and 15-kilometer races.
Read about the Norilskaya streets in other cities in our exclusive section A point on the planet.
Text: Elena Popova, Photo: open sources