Artyom and Norilsk: much in common
12+

Artyom and Norilsk: much in common

August 06, 2020

A small town with a population of just over 100 thousand people is located to the northeast of Vladivostok.

Its birth, like the entire Primorsky region, dates back to 1860, when the Beijing Treaty was signed between Russia and China. According to it, all the lands to the south of the Amur river and to the east of the Ussuri River went to the Russian Empire.

Civilization slowly came to the region known for its harsh climate and swamps, and the population of villages on the territory of present-day Artyom was small first – in 1916, only 800 workers were employed in coal mining, with their families forming the bulk of the population.

Everything changed with the arrival of the bolsheviks (revolutionists). The mines were nationalized, and an influx of visitors began not only from the RSFSR, but also from Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan and the Caucasus. In 1924 the village received its modern name – in honor of the bolshevik leader Fyodor Sergeev, also known under the clandestine nickname Comrade Artyom, and in 1938 it was officially proclaimed a city.

Artyom developed rapidly, becoming the most important industrial and coal mining center of the region. To assess its importance in the economic life of Primorye, suffice it to say that 20 mines were built there from 1914 to 1975.

No wonder that the names of Artyom’s 31 streets are directly related to miners’ work, and in the early 1970s Norilskaya street appeared in the city. Despite the great distance separating the two industrial cities they had much in common.

However, as the coal reserves were developed, the mines in Artyom were closed: from 1994 to 2000, the last seven mining enterprises, recognized as unprofitable, stopped working.

Today only Rudnichnaya, Shakhtyorskaya, Gornaya, Gornyatskaya, Prishakhtovaya streets… and Norilskaya one remind about that page of the city’s history. It intersects with the streets of Shaumyan, Baku Commissars, Astrakhanskaya, Poltavskaya and goes to Kirov street. There are 11 buildings there. The oldest building on Norilskaya street dates back to 1972. Newer houses, built in 2011, are no more than five stories high.

Read about Norilskaya streets in other cities in our A point on the planet section.

Text: Elena Popova, Photo: open sources

August 06, 2020

All rights reserved ©️ THIS IS TAIMYR online media, 2020

If quoting in whole or in part, a reference to the This is Taimyr is required. The editors are not responsible for the information contained in advertisements. The editors do not provide reference information. Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Communications, Information Technology and Mass Media. Certificate of registration of mass media is ЭЛ No. ФС 77 - 79414 dated 02.11.2020, valid. Distributed in Russian Federation and foreign countries.

Founder: Severny Gorod Media Company LLC, 663300, Krasnoyarsk Territory, Norilsk, Komsomolskaya st., 33a.

Chief editor: Natalia N. Popova